Method 1: Using dpkg –configure to Fix Held Broken Packages While working at the terminal, trying running sudo dpkg –configure -a to start an automatic update process that looks for any broken dependencies on your system caused by packages that aren't installed.
In this way, how do I fix broken packages in Ubuntu?
Ubuntu fix broken package (best solution)
- sudo apt-get update –fix-missing.
- sudo dpkg –configure -a.
- sudo apt-get install -f.
- Unlock the dpkg – (message /var/lib/dpkg/lock)
- sudo fuser -vki /var/lib/dpkg/lock.
- sudo dpkg –configure -a.
One may also ask, how do you fix the following packages have unmet dependencies?
Method 1: Use the -f parameter
- Open a Terminal by pressing Ctrl, Alt and T simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Type in sudo apt-get install -f and press Enter to execute it.
- Once it's done, type in sudo dpkg –configure -a, press Enter to run it, and run the command from step 2 once more.
How do I repair broken packages in Linux Mint?
Launch Synaptic Package Manager and select Status on the left panel and click on Broken Dependencies to find the broken package. Click on the red box to the left of the package's name, and you should get the option to remove it. Mark it for complete removal, and click on Apply on the top panel.
How do you remove a broken package?
Here are the steps.
- Find your package in /var/lib/dpkg/info , for example using: ls -l /var/lib/dpkg/info | grep <package>
- Move the package folder to another location, like suggested in the blog post I mentioned before.
- Run the following command: sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq <package>
How do I manually run dpkg configuration?
Run the command it tells you to sudo dpkg --configure -a and it should be able to correct itself. If it doesn't try running sudo apt-get install -f (to fix broken packages) and then try running sudo dpkg --configure -a again. Just make sure you have internet access available so that you can download any dependencies.
How do you get apt get?
- Install. Using apt-get install will check the dependencies of the packages you want and install any that are needed.
- Search. Use apt-cache search to find what's available.
- Update. Run apt-get update to update all your package lists, followed by apt-get upgrade to update all your installed software to the latest versions.
What is dist update Linux?
The apt-get dist-upgrade command intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages and will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary.
What does Autoremove do in Ubuntu?
apt-get autoremove The autoremove option removes packages that were automatically installed because some other package required them but, with those other packages removed, they are no longer needed. Sometimes, an upgrade will suggest that you run this command.
What is aptitude command Ubuntu?
aptitude is a text-based interface to the Debian GNU/Linux package system. It allows the user to view the list of packages and to perform package management tasks such as installing, upgrading, and removing packages. Actions may be performed from a visual interface or from the command-line.
Does Ubuntu have no installation candidate?
This happens when you try to install a package about which APT does not have any idea. This means of all the repositories listed in your software sources, none of them have the package named munin-memcached . I checked again and it is not available in official Ubuntu repos.
How do I update Ubuntu?
Check for updates Click on the Settings button to open the main user-interface. Select the tab called Updates, if not already selected. Then set the Notify me of a new Ubuntu version dropdown menu to either For any new version or For long-term support versions, if you're wanting to update to the latest LTS release.
How do I fix sub process usr bin dpkg returned an error code 1?
Options to Fix sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
- Method 1: Reconfigure dpkg Database.
- Method 2: Force-Install the Software.
- Method 3: Remove Bad Software Package.
- Method 4: Clean Out Unused Software Packages.
- Method 5: Remove Post Files.
- Method 6: Overwrite Package File.
How do I fix broken packages in Debian?
Fix broken packages using Synaptic Inside of the “Edit” menu, find the “Fix Broken Packages” button and select it. As soon as you select this option, Synaptic will automatically assign fixes to all of the broken packages, such as removing them, installing missing files, etc.
How do I fix broken packages in Synaptic package manager?
'Broken packages' are packages that have unsatisfied dependencies. If broken packages are detected, Synaptic will not allow any further changes to the system until all broken packages have been fixed. Choose Edit > Fix Broken Packages from the menu. Choose Apply Marked Changes from the Edit menu or press Ctrl + P.
What is Ubuntu recovery mode?
On most Linux distributions the solution involves using a live CD to access files on your hard drive or even use a chroot. Ubuntu has come up with a clever solution in recovery mode. It lets you perform several key recovery tasks, including booting into a root terminal to give you full access to fix your computer.
How do I repair Ubuntu?
The graphical way
- Insert your Ubuntu CD, reboot your computer and set it to boot from CD in the BIOS and boot into a live session. You can also use a LiveUSB if you have created one in the past.
- Install and run Boot-Repair.
- Click "Recommended Repair".
- Now reboot your system. The usual GRUB boot menu should appear.
What is sudo apt get install?
You run sudo apt-get upgrade to install available upgrades of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources configured via sources. list file. New packages will be installed if required to satisfy dependencies, but existing packages will never be removed.
What is dpkg in Linux?
dpkg is the software at the base of the package management system in the free operating system Debian and its numerous derivatives. dpkg is used to install, remove, and provide information about . deb packages. dpkg (Debian Package) itself is a low-level tool.
How can I fix Ubuntu OS without reinstalling it?
Fix Broken Ubuntu OS Without Reinstalling It. First of all, try to login with live cd and backup your data in an external drive. Just in case, if this method didn't work, you can still have your data and reinstall everything! At the login screen, press CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch to tty1.
What is apt get update?
apt-get update downloads the package lists from the repositories and "updates" them to get information on the newest versions of packages and their dependencies. It will do this for all repositories and PPAs. From http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get: Used to re-synchronize the package index files from their sources.
What is the difference between APT and APT get?
apt-get is one such command-line tool which is widely popular. apt is more structured and provides you with necessary options needed to manage packages. Bottom line: apt = most common used command options from apt-get , apt-cache and apt-config . I have written in detail on the difference between apt and apt-get.
ubuntu, linux, dependencies, unmet, dpkg, mint, manually, sudo, lock, kali